[Latin-America] Global Network Weekly #8

Simeon Oriko simeon at creativecommons.org
Fri May 19 21:05:08 GMT 2017

Hello friends! 👋🏽

One year ago this week, a bunch of us were holed up in a coworking space in
Washington, DC laying the foundation for the new Global Network Strategy.
We posted a summary of that meeting on the CC Wiki
<https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Global_Network_Strategy/DC_Meeting>.

*****

This week, I'd like to share with you as clearly as possible how to
participate in the following ongoing CC activities:

*1. Open Education Platform*

Cable has been working with volunteers to shape the Open Education
Platform. They have a Version 2 of their working document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-HPog_7pPUXrECzne1t6X7eKwo8TzpYBZ8iC8FfASoE/edit?usp=sharing>
which you can submit comments to. They've also set up a mailing list
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cc-openedu> and a Slack Channel
<https://creativecommons.slack.com/messages/C2S2MFAJW> for this platform.
Please join if you'd like to participate in Open Education Platform
discussions.

This crew are hosting a virtual meeting soon. There's an open Doodle Poll
to schedule meeting times. Fill out the poll
<http://doodle.com/poll/q7v4qxg6vprcrwvi> if you'd like to participate.

*2. Open GLAM Platform*

Scann and an awesome bunch of community members are moving along with the
Open GLAM platform too. Their working document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/19hFvtDFPZU-FHWmnXaLX5TP9eR7h_Iou-6Cc4Wl6qAM/edit?usp=sharing>
is still open for comments and they are hosting their first call on Monday
22nd May, 2017 at 12 pm UTC -3 (please confirm your timezone - we wouldn't
want you missing the call). Hangout will be hosted here
<https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/qtnvedissfem5m5ktgrbxabb7ie>. If
you need any help or further details, you can ping Scann on Slack.

*3. Community Call for Communications Folks*

Jennie will be hosting a series of community calls to talk about
communication strategy within CC and the various affiliate teams as well as
best practices for nonprofits and the open movement more generally.

To participate, fill out this Doodle Poll
<http://doodle.com/poll/2ke67qgnzimiwyp2#table>. There's a Slack Channel
for this too if you prefer to stay up to date that way - #cc-comms
<https://creativecommons.slack.com/messages/C5E2MD31N>.

There are a couple of other CC Platforms that are in the works - Tim and
others are working on a Copyright Reform Platform (Slack Channel:
#cc-copyrightreform <https://creativecommons.slack.com/messages/C5B3EE4G6>).
Jorge from CC Guatemala and others are working on an Open Govt/Open Data
Platform. Details on those will be shared soon.

None of the above appeal to you? Did you know you too can propose a CC
Platform? How? Easy! Step 1. Read the CC Platforms Guide
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rlVotXHK0CQ5oC6dbyIRfpCUcq9RqpltgAgDtxFqQ3k/edit?usp=sharing>.
Step 2. Tell me <network at creativecommons.org> about your idea for a
platform.

****

Quick shout out to the affiliates I interacted with this week: CC China, CC
Taiwan, CC Norway, CC Uruguay and CC Kazakhstan. We also received requests
to set up new chapters in Malta, The Bahamas and Thailand!

Who knows. Maybe a CC Summit in the Bahamas could happen some time in the
 future! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Til' next Friday y'all!

Simeon

Simeon Oriko
Network Manager, Creative Commons

Invest in an open future. Support Creative Commons today:
http://bit.ly/19IjSKl