[Latin-America] Global Network Weekly #44

Simeon Oriko simeon at creativecommons.org
Fri Apr 27 10:02:36 UTC 2018

Hi friends 👋🏾

During the summit, I held a session to get feedback on the community
management service I provide.

One of the things that came up is the need to find a better format for
these weekly emails. So I'm going to run a few experiments on the format
for a few weeks with the hope that you'll reply with your feedback.

This week, I'll highlight some interesting initiatives taking place around
the network:

   - This week, friends in Venezuela held a Conference on Copyright as a
   Development Tool in Venezuela
   <https://welcu.com/clisi/jornadas-creative-commons> - exploring the
   Copyleft and Creative Commons Model. This was supported by the Community
   Activities Fund
   - The Africa region is collaboratively working on continent-wide
   initiatives around OER, Open Access, Policy and Arts & Culture. An formal
   announcement about these initiatives will be announced very soon.
   - More people are exploring the idea of starting Platforms. Christine
   Hagyard from Ontario, Canada and others have show interest in an Open
   Governance Platform and had a productive conversation with Sam Muirhead
   who's based in Wellington New Zealand about starting a Culture platform for
   creators and artists. Interested in any of these conversations? Reach out
   to me and I'll plug you in.
   - The Arab world is really lighting up - many CC initiatives being
   discussed and many chapters springing up. At the moment, the Arab world is
   looking to host CC Iftars in the region and muslim communities around the
   world. Planning to host a CC Iftar, get in touch so we can support you.
   Also, there's this spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GzUMPWcqzNCL82oQxCCNtBqgkOloXNk8MHntU6WBopw/edit?usp=sharing>
   where you can see the one's being planned.
   - This week I learned that CC France is currently preparing a book in
   French explaining free licences and, in particular, CC licences within the
   eco system of the Open culture.

What's happening in your community?

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko

Simeon Oriko
Network Manager, Creative Commons

Invest in an open future. Support Creative Commons today:
http://bit.ly/19IjSKl