[Latin-America] Global Network Weekly #17

Simeon Oriko simeon at creativecommons.org
Fri Aug 4 21:01:55 GMT 2017

Hello CC friends! 👋🏽

This week we announced
<https://creativecommons.org/2017/08/01/announcing-first-round-grants-community-activities-fund/>
the first round of grants for the Community Activities Fund! I wanted to
share some thoughts that may help those of you considering applying for the
fund.

You might have noticed that we❤ applications aimed at bringing people
together to form CC Chapters where they do not exist, or to collaborate on
a project. Many of the first round grantee projects are doing this which we
think is awesome!

Advocacy for CC tools and licenses also features prominently in a lot of
applications. Many of you are advocating for Copyright Reform, OER adoption
among other causes.

Lastly, it's very exciting to see a number of you who are very determined
to train and nurture a new generation of Creative Commoners by reaching out
to other communities such as startups. Even more of you are designing new
and exciting programs aimed at recruiting and on-boarding people to the
Open movement

Some things don't get funded though. I think it may be useful to mention
some of those things: Top of the list is Capital Expenditure - fixed assets
such as cameras, computers etc that we're not at this moment able to keep
track of after the project is done. Second on the list are projects and
ideas that make no effort in advancing the mission and vision of Creative
Commons <https://creativecommons.org/about/mission-and-vision/>. In some
cases, projects that reserve a huge part of their budget for personal
emoluments don't get funded as well.

One thing I've been keen to do is to provide support - either by discussing
your ideas or by connecting you with individuals and teams across the
network who may be in a position to help.

I'm always very excited to read your applications and discuss your ideas
for projects. Please reach out if you're considering applying for the fund
and need some guidance.

'Til next Friday y'all!

Simeon Oriko

Simeon Oriko
Network Manager, Creative Commons

Invest in an open future. Support Creative Commons today:
http://bit.ly/19IjSKl