[cc-community] Interview for School Project

David Bernado dbernado at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:03:27 UTC 2018

Hello to readers of the CC Community email list,

My name is David Bernado, and I am a junior at Gibson Ek High School in Seattle. In short, Gibson Ek is a self-directed, project-based learning high school (our website is gibsonek.org, for more information). One of the graduation requirements at Gibson Ek is something called a "Senior Project", an all-encompassing project intended to serve a need in "the community" that students research and implement in their junior/senior years.

I have been conducting research and have a couple ideas of what I want to do as a senior project, but generally speaking most of my ideas are some form of a libre, decentralized web application that promotes free software and/or the public domain.
As part of the research phase, students are required to obtain information from people active in the community that they seek to serve. I have been looking for people to conduct an interview with and would love to do so with an individual who is active and experienced with Creative Commons and the free culture/knowledge movement. I have prepared some questions about the organization, its mission and the problems it seeks to solve as well as important steps to take to help mitigate these problems. It can be over email or phone call, and any time that is convenient for the interviewee can probably work or be made to work with my schedule.

Potentially, I would also like to work with someone active with Creative Commons as an expert to get feedback from and ask questions to. One of the senior project requirements is to have such a figure (officially called a "mentor" by the specification) offer their expertise to the student during the design process. I have not solidified a project idea so it is not necessary to form a partnership yet, but if anyone is interested please let me know.

If you have any questions about me, the project or Gibson Ek, please feel free to email back at dbernado at protonmail.com, or you can email my advisor at shumaysa at gibsonek.org. Thanks a lot and I look forward to working with you all!

David