[cc-community] in major architecture commissions, does owner typically get copyright?...

Lane Rasberry lane at bluerasberry.com
Mon Mar 7 16:10:13 GMT 2016

Hello,

A question has come up on Wikipedia. Does anyone have experience in major
architecture transactions? The question is whether in major commissions of
building construction (~$50 million USD), does the building owner typically
get the copyright in the deal, or is copyright usually retained by the
architect?

If anyone replies to this, could you please say "CC-By (your name)" in your
reply so that I can copy your response to a Wikipedia discussion board?
Otherwise post yourself at
<
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Copyright#Company_commissions_a_building_-_does_Wiki_presume_they_own_copyright.3F

The situation is that some countries do not have freedom of panorama, so
copyrighted buildings cannot be photographed from the street for reuse
without permission. Sometimes building owners themselves donate photos of
their own buildings to Wikipedia. We are discussing a general policy about
whether to accept these photos, or whether we need confirmation from
architect, general counsel, and so on for each image upload.

Thanks to anyone who has anything to say.

yours,

--
Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia